Empowering Communities to THRIVE
The THRIVE team is part of United Way of Southwest Virginia’s cradle-to-career approach.
Traumatic experiences leave a legacy of reminders that may persist for years. These experiences can set in motion a cascade of effects that can lead to long term health problems. In addition, trauma and loss can reverberate within families, among friends, in schools, at the workplace, and across communities in ways that can powerfully influence recovery. Addressing trauma and loss is critical to a fully thriving community.
The THRIVE team works to mitigate the impact of trauma in our communities by creating a more trauma-informed culture through collaboration and support.
What is Trauma Informed Care?
Trauma-informed Care is the practice of recognizing that the experience of trauma is a prevalent issue facing our community and has long-term effects on functioning and well-being of an individual. Trauma-informed Care goes beyond surviving. We want all members of our community to THRIVE.
United We Achieve This By:
- First performing a self-assessment in evaluation of our practices and programs and integrating trauma informed care throughout our organization
- Integrating community-wide knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices
- Incorporating trauma-informed care into child- and youth-serving networks
- Supporting children so they are physically, socially, and emotionally healthy and prepared for Kindergarten
- Developing strategic work plans with community stakeholders to build a continuum of developmental and behavioral care for children and youth
The THRIVE team at United Way of Southwest Virginia is the SWVA hub that strengthens the network of providers working together to improve families’ Access to Health. The core services offered by the THRIVE team members include:
ACCESS TO SCREENING
developmental promotion, early detection, linkages to services
Trauma-Informed Community Networks, strategic planning, regional goal-setting
data collection, data analysis, issue identification, community resource inventory
TRAINING AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
provide technical assistance and professional development, and training
What We Do
How We Tackle These Issues